A wedding licence shows the individual doing your marriage (the wedding officiant) you have actually met most of the requirements that are legal be hitched in Alberta.
Alberta wedding licences can be obtained from a registry agent office.
A registry representative problems a document that is 2-part. The part that is top a Registration of Marriage therefore the bottom level could be the wedding licence.
The document that is fullenrollment of Marriage/Marriage Licence) needs to be provided to the wedding officiant that’ll be doing your wedding. This will be a appropriate document and must certanly be held in good shape and never folded since it is completely archived.
Conditions for a wedding
Banns (postings or announcements in a church) aren’t appropriate rather than a wedding licence.
There are not any residency or citizenship needs.
There isn’t any right time frame that has to pass amongst the date a couple comes in Alberta additionally the date a married relationship licence is given.
Bloodstream tests are not essential.
A married relationship licence is legitimate for three months through the date it really is granted.
A marriage might take put the exact same time a wedding licence is granted. There’s absolutely no time that is waiting.
An Alberta wedding licence is just legitimate for the Alberta wedding. The marriage has to take destination in Alberta.
You cannot apply for an Alberta marriage licence if you are currently married.
Whenever getting the wedding licence, you need to:
- Use together during the registry agent workplace
- Some exceptions may use, talk with a registry representative for details
- Swear/affirm several affidavits
- It really is an offense to swear/affirm an affidavit that is false
- Offer your information that is personal, and the entire names and delivery places of one’s moms and dads (including a parent’s maiden name)
Whenever getting a wedding licence, you simply cannot:
- Be under the influence of a alcohol or drug
- Be pertaining to each other as being a grandparent, moms and dad, son or daughter, sibling or grandchild, by whole bloodstream, half bloodstream or use
- Either individual getting hitched is hearing, message or aesthetically weakened
- Either individual getting hitched can be an adult that is assisted a court ordered co-decision manufacturer or represented adult with a guardianship order
The two of you needs to be 18 yrs old or older.
If you should be more youthful than 18 yrs old, you are able to make an application for a wedding licence if your entire moms and dads and appropriate guardians consent towards the wedding licence being granted, unless other conditions apply. Seek advice from a registry representative for complete details.
You cannot marry in Alberta if you are younger than 16 years old.
That person may provide their birth certificate or immigration document – the other person must have appropriate ID if among the couple usually do not have appropriate ID
You simply can’t be currently married (either to one another or somebody else).
Your legal marital status must be among the after:
- Evidence of divorce proceedings is necessary; the breakup document provided should be the document that is finalas an example, Certificate of Divorce, Decree Absolute).
- A divorce proceedings document that claims a wedding is dissolved in X period of time is certainly not appropriate as it is impossible to understand in the event that documents that are final filed or perhaps the divorce or separation had been contested through that time.
- Divorce proceedings documents that aren’t in English must certanly be translated; seek advice from a registry representative for interpretation needs.
- A death certification regarding the dead partner is perhaps not required.
- Never ever been hitched
- No marital status papers are expected.
Annulled wedding (through the court)
When an annulment is awarded through a court, the individuals marital status reverts returning to exactly what it had been before that annulled wedding took destination. The last status that is marital need to be proven. For instance:
- As soon as the status that is marital the annulment is divorced, evidence of divorce proceedings must certanly be supplied along with a duplicate associated with court ordered annulment
- Whenever previous status that is marital never ever been hitched, just the court ordered annulment document is required
When a married relationship ended up being annulled, a duplicate associated with court ordered annulment needs to be provided. Spiritual and annulments that are tribunal maybe maybe not accepted, only court ordered annulments.
Annulment documents that aren’t in English needs to be translated. Seek advice from a registry agent for interpretation demands.
Whenever getting a married relationship licence, each associated with people who can be engaged and getting married should be fluent in English (since appropriate papers are now being finalized), otherwise an interpreter is necessary. Whenever an interpreter is required, it really is your duty to offer one.
The interpreter needs to be:
- 18 years old or older
- Proficient both in English while the language translation that is requiring
If the registry agent worker issuing the wedding licence is proficient into the other language, then that registry representative worker may function as interpreter and issue the wedding licence.
The few trying to get a wedding licence cannot interpret/translate for every other.
There clearly was a $40 federal government charge for the wedding licence.
Registry agents will charge an ongoing solution charge. Service charges differ among registry agents.
How exactly to use
Step one. Make sure you are eligible to utilize for a married relationship licence
The wedding must certanly be happening in Alberta over the following a couple of months.
Before using, make certain you along with your spouse that is intended are.
Action 2. Gather your write-ups
Bring your ID that is acceptable with to obtain the wedding licence.
Other papers may be required, such as for example find-bride divorce proceedings documents. Contact a registry representative, they could verify just exactly exactly what papers you shall require.
Step 3. Visit a registry representative workplace
Head to a registry representative along with your intended spouse, acceptable ID and papers, thereby applying for a married relationship licence.
When you use
A wedding licence is granted whilst you wait.
If you don’t have all of the information and papers required, the method would be delayed.
Bring your marriage licence towards the ceremony and provide it to your wedding officiant.
Review the Registration of Marriage/Marriage Licence document extremely closely for errors whenever you will get it and just before leave the registry agent workplace. Also have errors corrected straight away.
Ahead of the ceremony occurs, mistakes may be corrected with a registry representative.
Following the ceremony occurs, mistakes needs to be corrected by the amendment.
The wedding officiant cannot correct any information which was supplied whenever wedding licence had been given.
Relate to Alberta Essential Statistics:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, shut statutory holidays) mobile: 780-427-7013 (Edmonton and area) Toll free: 310-0000 prior to the contact number (in Alberta) Fax: 780-422-4225
For the deaf or hard-of-hearing: TTY: 780-427-9999 (Edmonton and area) Toll free TTY: 1-800-232-7215 (in Alberta)
Mail: Essential Statistics P.O. Box 2023 Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4W7
Courier: Essential Statistics Document Reception John E. Brownlee Building 10365 97 Street Edmonton, Alberta T5J 5C5